Curation Test



1.






  • (a) 1
    Popular meme image of Obama.  Can describe the positives of what is gained from ObamaCare


    (a) 2
    The piggy bank with a stethoscope can indicate something being saved or gained from ObamaCare

    (a) 3
    Using the image of a stern Obama image can show what you WILL get from ObamaCare.

    (a) 4
    "10 Ways Obamacare will Aid America"

    (a) 5
    "The Top 10 Benefits of Obamacare"

    (a) 6
    "Benefits You Will Receive From Obamacare"
    (a) 7
    "10 Positive Changes to Health Care Thanks to Obamacare"
    (a) 8
    "Obamacare: Hope for Both Patient & Small Business "

    (a) 9
    "Obamacare: Beneficial Changes for Both Businesses and Patients"


    (a)10

    "Obamacare: Your Healthcare Rights Restored"


    (b)1
    Looking cocky with bling can also feed negative stereotypes and the image is more appealing for clickthroughs.  


    (b)2
    Actual image from the show; cut off to make the reader maybe click to the story.

    (b)3
    Sex appeal / scandal / or celebrity partying images tend to catch the reader's eye

    (b)4
    "Is Shawty Lo's Reality Show an Insult to Minority Families?"

    (b)5
    "Oxygen Network Will Air Shawty Lo's 'All My Babies' Mommas' Despite Outcry"  


    (b)6
    "BRKDWN: The 'All My Babies' Mommas' Controversy "

    (b)7
    "Petition to Remove Shawty Lo's Reality TV Show On The Raise"

    (b)8
    "Shawty Lo's & Oxygen Refuse to Budge on 'All My Babies' Mommas'"

    (b)9
    "African American Community Wants To Silence Shawty Lo's New Show."

    (b)10
    "Does Shawty's New Reality Show Go Too Lo?"


    (c)1
    Eye catching image and reflects Amy's message for girls not to be "withered" and "shriveled"
    (c)2
    Caters to being "weird and independent" Also the comedy of the image catches the eye.

    (c)3
    Goes a bit with Amy wanting girls to being "sassy" and "weird"

    (c)4
    "Amy Poehler's Message For Young Girls"

    (c)5
    "Amy Poehler Wants Young Girls To Be 'Independent and 'Sassy' "

    (c)6
    "SNL's Amy Poehler's Worries For Young Girls"


    (c)7
    "Girls Can Be 'Sassy', 'Full', 'Smart' and 'Independent'" 


    (c)8
    Amy Poehler's Message for Girls to Not Be So 'Withered and Shriveled'"

    (c)9
    "Former SNL Comedian's Insight On What A Young Woman Can Be"

    (c)10
    "Girls Can Be 'Weird, Geeky, and Smart'"



    2.













  • 3.



  • 4.


  • 3 most inspirational people in the world today
      1. Elon Musk
      Bringing space exploration, electric cars and the future to the masses.



     2. Bill Gates:
     Could live the rest of his life in complete financial and personal freedom; chooses to devote life  to philanthropy


    3. 
    Matthew Inman (theoatmeal.com):
    Proving that you can be successful with your own home made blog by being yourself and not caving into the "what would employers think of your social media page?!" mentality.


    5.


  • 6.

  • What social network do you like the best and why? Which one are you the best at? (i.e. Facebook, Tumblr, etc.) 

    Up until recently, the social media site I've been the best at, has been Reddit.com. Yet, as of the past few weeks, Facebook has taken over.  This was in part to my own site's page going from 50 likes to almost 6,000 in about a week's time.  The sudden surge of  new people made me learn the ins and outs of Facebook really quick.  I'd have to say, originally I saw Facebook as MySpace 2.0, but their analytics, ad manger,  post controls, audience targeting and of course the use of apps/APIs have proven to be rather useful in getting your posts seen; something until recently I only knew of but hardly worked with.
    Facebook originally gained their edge over MySpace over 5 years ago thanks in part to their connectivity to outside blogs via comment/badge widgets. It could have been argued that Facebook would one day meet the fate MySpace did over time but their page/community admin controls showed that, like Google, they can create a platform for growth and revenue for online content creators. This, is why I would pick Facebook as my favorite social network site.


  • 7.
  • How comfortable are you with technology? Tell us about some of your strengths and weaknesses with using it. 

    When it comes to technology, I'm very comfortable with it.  Even before I was 2 years old, I would show my parents how to use a VCR or play video games on my Atari 2600.   Later I became a computer scientist and despite my busy life, I try to keep up to speed with everything new in technology.  I've used sites like engadget.com, reddit's r/technology and tech sites to be at the cutting edge of what's new.  My home computer setup has duel monitors for my (albeit now rather old) PC and a setup with my Macbook that does a number of things like record live videogame sessions or to design/animate in Flash with a tablet.  I've even remotely accessed my computers through an iPhone app.  My strength is that I can pick up on new tech very quickly and make use of them fully. My weakness is that either due to a lack of time or a lack of money/resources... I'll start some projects, be it a Flash animation, a home made iPhone video game, a custom look to my web sites, and be stopped midway without full completion.  I also at times think I know how a new tech/program/etc only to find out I was doing things the long way (ie: keyboard shortcuts).


  • 8.

  • Take a look at Upworthy’s Facebook page. What is your gut reaction to the tone, design, content, writing, and engagement?

  • When I look at the page, I see orange, simplicity and the current web design/operating system scheme of having minimalism yet eye catching titles and images.  The rise of the smart phone since the iPhone's debut in 2007 has made web design go toward this look and feel.  User generated content has been the trend for many viral sites but limiting the content to a few yet diverse list of curators can still keep the content fresh and tackle the issue of moderation that can happen with say sites like reddit.com.


    9.







  • What experience (if any) do you have with analytics and/or measuring the follower count or pageviews on your posts? If none, simply write n/a.

  • I've been the webmaster of my own site, chucksanimeshrine.com since 2002 and since then I've used analytics from my web host, from google and in the past few year, from Blogger and ads (adsense & projectwonderful).  My facebook page for my site (facebook.com/chucksanimeshrine) also has a slew of analytics that I observe like organic vs. viral exposure of my posts.


    10.









  •  What's the one question you wished we had asked on this application, but we didn't? Please write out your answer for the question, too! Where do you see social networking going in the future?

    I feel that in the next 3-5 years, with inventions like Google Glass and other augmented reality devices/apps, the internet and social media will be much more a part of being out and about than staring at a smart phone or a computer screen.  This trend will continue to move the minialistic design paradigms of websites/apps to cater to an even more "instant gratification" we already see with social media and sharing online.  In other words, less detailed stories and more tweet-like bytes of information to cater to the even faster pace of social media.



  • My Blog List

    • Frozen (SPOILERS) - Once upon time, Disney made movies that made me feel lost in wonder for days. Falling in love with a princess and her love story, hoping to have one of my ...
      10 years ago

    Translate

    Copyright © Chuck Gaffney Blog, Chuck Gaffney and BT - Anime Music.